Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Chemistry & Chemical Engineering: Articles and Papers

Finding journal articles and research papers

If you want to do a quick search for a few journal articles, use Article Search or an ejournal package such as the Royal Society of Chemistry journals and archive, the American Chemical Society journals, or ScienceDirect Journals. They will usually deliver the full-text immediately.
If you want to do a comprehensive search of the research literature, use one or more of the Key Databases (on then next tab) as they have much wider content coverage and offer better search features. The databases don't contain the online full text of articles and papers, so you will need to use the QConnect service to link to the full-text in the library's subscriptions.


The following e-journal packages all give access to research papers on chemistry and chemical engineering:

To find a specific e-journal, please check the Library's e-journals A-Z list:

Hardcopy Journals

Hardcopies of chemistry and chemical engineering journals published from 1981 to the present are shelved in the Journals Area on Floor 3.

Journal volumes which were published before 1981 are kept in the Library Store. Please ask at the Borrower Services Desk on the ground floor if you wish to consult any of them.

Journal title abbreviations

If you only have the abbreviated title of a Chemistry journal and need the full title (or vice versa), try looking it up in CAS Source Index (CASSI).

Off-campus access

The library's databases and e-journals packages can be accessed both on and off-campus.

For off-campus access please follow the links to e-journals from this guide or from the Library Catalogue or the library's E-Journals A-Z.

This will enable you to authenticate with your QUB ID card details and use e-journals when you are away from campus.

If you have queries about accessing e-books, e-journals or databases from off-campus, check our e-resources guide, or contact your subject librarian, Irene Bittles (email:

Keeping up to date

These RSC databases are useful for keeping track of the latest research papers.